Brief History of how
the RFDS began.
The RFDS began as a dream of the Reverend John
Flynn; his wish was to provide a ‘mantle of safety
for the people in isolation across Australia. In 1928
this became a reality with the opening of the
Australian Inland Mission Aerial Medical Service,
later renamed, The Flying Doctor Service.
Over the next few years, the FDS began to expand
across the Country. Victoria in 1934, New South
Wales, South Australia and the northern Territory in
1936. Queensland, 1939 and Tasmania, 1960.
In Kalgoorlie WA the Eastern Goldfields Section was
officially established in 1937. However private
aircraft were flown on medical missions as far back
At that time the
Section also provided a medical service for people
in the outback.
The rest of Western Australia, the Western
Australian Section was officially registered in
1936. The section’s first base was at Port Hedland.
In 1954 it was renamed again, by Queen Elizabeth,
when visiting Australia, she changed it to the Royal
Flying Doctor Service, which is what it is known as
to-day and now all Sections in WA are known as
Western Operations and the bases are located at
Derby, Port Hedland, Meekatharra, Kalgoorlie and
History of the
Esperance Auxiliary (Inc)
In 1996 Eric Swann was approached by the Eastern
Goldfields Section Kalgoorlie to form an Auxiliary
in Esperance. The first meeting took place on 3rd
December 1996 and chartered with nineteen in
attendance and fifteen apologies.
History has proved the RFDS Esperance Auxiliary
the people of Esperance are passionate about keeping
the Doctor flying. It is no secret that Esperance
and the outlying areas are isolate and so it is
reassuring, knowing we are serviced by a Minnie
Intensive Care Unit, bringing the finest care, using
the latest Aviation, Medical and Communication